Thursday, May 23, 2013

Grab your potential now!



Susan C. writes to me after reading my profile on LinkedIn.  Her question was a simple one, “how can I reach my full potential, I’m frustrated and in a dead end job?”  Eleven years ago when I started my work in personal development my focus quickly became human potential.  I wanted to know how I could help people like Susan get more out of life.   

It occurred to me that almost everyone knows they are capable of more.   They are capable of doing more, having more and most importantly sharing more.  The question to many is “how”?

If having a “good day” represents you using your potential to a higher degree, then how can we have more of those days? Here’s a pattern I’ve noticed, tell me is you have noticed the same.  When a person has a good day it generally starts the moment they get out of bed.  Their hair falls in place, their clothes fits perfectly, very little traffic going to work etc, etc, etc.

And now let’s look at the bad day – they bump their toe getting out of bed.  There’s a lack of hot water for their morning shower. The car has a ping, sputter, cough and traffic is terrible.  It’s as simple as this, when are day starts bad we look for expect other bad things will happen.  When a day starts with good things we look and expect more good things to happen.

The key here is not a good or bad day happening, it comes down to us causing something to happen.  This is where “potential” comes in, you have 50,000 thoughts per day.  You can decide to use those thoughts in a negative way or use them in a more positive fashion and tap into your potential.  As Shakespeare said … “Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

Here are a few of my favorite quotes from Jim Rhone my first teacher in the area of Personal Development, email me if you want to the full list of 30 pages (Greg@GregWinston.com):

·      The most important question to ask on the job is not “What am I getting?” The most important question to ask on the job is “What am I becoming?”

·      Income seldom exceeds personal development.

·      Don’t bring your need to the marketplace, bring your skill. If you don’t feel well, tell your doctor, but not the marketplace. If you need money, go to the bank, but not the marketplace.

·      Indecision is the thief of opportunity.

·      We generally change ourselves for one of two reasons: inspiration or desperation.

·      Humans have the remarkable ability to get exactly what they must have. But there is a difference between a “must” and a “want.”

·      Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment